Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Blue Skies

Usually all I do is walk around thinking about how much I hate being at home - driving kids everywhere, preparing meals, doing washing, cleaning, vacuuming and wondering WHEN IS IT ALL GOING TO END?!!!  Yesterday was my birthday and I went and had a two hour guilt-free pamper - facial, hot rock massage and manicure.  I walked out of that spa feeling as if I was walking on air.  Why don't I treat myself to something like that more often?

This morning I woke up and instead of thinking 'same shit, different day', I let go and decided to just enjoy it while I can.  I'm lucky I don't have to go out and try and find a job; I'm lucky I can be here and have my house clean every day - just the way I like it; I'm lucky I don't have to stress about my future.  At the moment I'm in a holding pattern; I'm in limbo until Summer Semester starts and I can get back to doing what I absolutely love (not the stress, just the learning).  Now I realise I'm not the only one who feels slightly displaced when uni has temporarily finished, after reading this post by Studying Parent.  Many of us academic types (no, I really don't want to be an academic, but you get my meaning), feel out of sorts when we're waiting for our turn to take off again!

And my new promise to myself is that for each semester I do well, I'm going to treat myself to a couple of hours in the spa and I'll be all glammed up, confident and ready to reach for the stars again. Ciao!

4 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean, Caz. I look forward to breaks from school,but then I feel completely at a loss as to what to do with myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea :) I definitely can relate to be being in a holding pattern, waiting to see if my university applications are successful is driving me crazy!! Also, Happy Birthday :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love hot rock massages! Reading your post makes me very conscious of the fact that my back fucking hurts! I am glad you are enjoying your time off! I just spent...I shit you not...9 hours STRAIGHT working on a paper that was due yesterday. I sat at the computer at 10pm on Tuesday and I finally stopped at 7am. THEN, I sat back down to finish it at 11am and printed the final paper at 2pm. So glad that one is done. Next one due in 3 weeks. Mid-term in 2 weeks and a shit ton of other stuff on the academic calendar! I keep reminding myself that I don't want to quit but right now, I certainly don't want to do the work anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally know what you mean!The hot rocks sound gorgeous and we all deserve a treat sometimes.Its weird isn't it how once the academic stuff starts again you will probably wish you had time to chill out and do what you want when you want. I am with you on hating the whole 'running around after the kids' scenario.I may well go & book myself a massage too! x

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have anything nice to say, please don't say anything at all!

I've done it!!!

Well, I've finally done it!! Got accepted into Uni AND created a blog!!! After searching for insightful websites to help me tackle my journey into academia at my ripe old age and coming up with nil, I decided to start one of my own. I hope this blog will encourage anyone who has ever doubted their own abilities, to put one foot in front of the other and achieve their ambitions, desires, dreams...no matter what they are. If anyone has any inspiring stories to share, I would love to hear them. I love an inspiring story!!!