Monday, April 4, 2011

Thank heavens...


http://www.simplyartonline.net/MarieLouiseVigeeLebrun.htm

You know, there was a time when my two daughters were just the sweetest, most delightful little angels.  Older parents used to get such a thrill in telling me that once they were teens it would all change.  'Not mine', I'd say.  Well that day has come (actually it's been here for well on four years, but who's counting) and I can honestly say there has been many a moment and especially this very one, when I wish they were three and four again.

I used to have two gorgeous little girls who were quiet, polite and did what they were told, when they were told.  Now I have two, almost adult girls who don't seem to give a damn about anybody or anything unless there's something in it for them.  I remember when I was growing up, if my mother or father gave me 'the look', I would quickly avert my eyes and shut up.  Not these two.  Quick with the snide, disrespectful remarks, they answer my 'look' with, 'what?  what are you lookin' at?  what?'  Then they sit there snickering at each other like, 'Mum's lost the plot'. 

There's only so much I can take and I can't take being treated like a not-so-bright doormat.  Especially not by two little girls who once upon a time used to light up my life.  Thank heavens for little boys!

Sorry to be on a downer but at the moment it hurts to be a mum.

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you are feeling hurt today! I can totally relate!!! My daughter and I went through a good 5 years of not getting along and it broke my heart. I used to sit in my bed and cry all the time. My son is better but he gets nasty at times too. Now my daughter is 17 and I think we finally go over that hump. She still rolls her eyes at me and we get on eachother's nerves but I think we have both found a place where we can get along for the most part. Sending you hugs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have a daughter who has been through teenhood. My mother always said, just wait until kids are in their 20's (sometime) OR when they grow up. They turn back into normal people then.
    So hopefully (and most probably) this bad time and hard-to-take relationships is really a phase; and chances are that someday they will realize that you do have some great advice and are worth listening to and respecting.
    Until then, it will be probably hard to take their attitudes because they think they know everything. This too shall pass, but it may take awhile. I feel for you right now. Be strong. ::hugs::

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much girls! Your comments mean so much to me. I know it's just a phase but it doesn't make it any easier. I have heard that they come out of it in the end but sometimes I feel so beaten down!! Thanks. XX

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are welcome. Mothers and daughters have such a "special" relationship, don't they?

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have anything nice to say, please don't say anything at all!

I've done it!!!

Well, I've finally done it!! Got accepted into Uni AND created a blog!!! After searching for insightful websites to help me tackle my journey into academia at my ripe old age and coming up with nil, I decided to start one of my own. I hope this blog will encourage anyone who has ever doubted their own abilities, to put one foot in front of the other and achieve their ambitions, desires, dreams...no matter what they are. If anyone has any inspiring stories to share, I would love to hear them. I love an inspiring story!!!