Monday, January 17, 2011

Blood, sweat and tears

This morning I woke up in the foulest mood - full of self-loathing and self-pity.  Before I'd even had breakfast I'd had an agrument with not one but both of my daughters; threatened to leave SH No. 1 and had considered dropping out of uni and going back to work.  What's the point?  I'll be 46 by the time I get my degree and who's going to want to employ a 46 year old undergrad?

Well it's now afternoon and my self-loathing and self-pity have lifted somewhat.  After coming home from a game of bowls with No. 1 Son, I opened the mail box and pulled out an A4 envelope from the University.  My initial thoughts were that they'd made some mistake and had accidently sent me my degree - 4 years early!  What was inside was something totally unexpected.  I've received an Award for Academic Excellence 2010!!  An award I knew nothing about but am totally proud to have - recognition of my hard work over the year.  Not only is it the first award I have EVER received in my life but my GPA over the year puts me in the top 5% of students - both undergrad and postgrad!!  Not bad for a girl who thought she was a dumb ass!

At the moment this award takes pride of place on the dining room table in the hope it will instil in my children what is possible with hard work and perseverance, together with the importance of self-belief!!!

12 comments:

  1. We all have those days, when we snap at anything. But it sounds like your day got a whole lot better - congratulations! I'm sure it was well-earned.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lola. Only those of us who have been through it know how well earned it is!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! What a fabulous achievement and so encouraging to keep you going when you have days like this! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! I hope you frame it and put it above your desk as inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! We all need a little ego-bump like that every once in a while. Sometimes we have to keep on convincing ourselves that we're on the right track, but it's great to get a little validation from others. Good for you! -Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! Don't be so hard on yourself when you think about going to work. Remember you have many experiences you can draw upon when you are ready to go back to work. A little creative resume writing can go a long way. If you don't already have a resume completed, it is never too early to start, just add to it as you think of creative ways to express the skills you have gained in 46 years of experience.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thankyou all for your encouraging comments! I know I can document my achievements on this blog knowing I won't be seen as bragging but proud! Studentmum - the first thing I did this morning was frame my award and put it above my desk!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jeff G - I think worrying about employement comes from having worked since I was 15 to not having worked for 2 years! It's a bit scary but you're right - I have a world of experiences to bring to my new work life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Well done, you!! I know exactly how it feels to doubt yourself during this whole 'academic adventure'.Whenever you feel down or doubtful again have a look at this award and be proud - you should be!Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is wonderful!!! Congratulations, you old nerd! =)) I know the feeling all too well! I considered quitting every single semester and last year when I was more determined than ever, that very moment, I got notice in the mail that I made the Dean's List. I have made the Dean's List before at the community college I attended but this university is freakin' hard! I was PISSED that I got that because 5 minutes prior to opening it, I was happy with my decision to quit! Well, I am still here plugging away and I am thrilled that you are too!!!! Congrats!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. God, it's amazing how alike EVERYONE really is!! Now I worry I've set this precedent for myself I won't be able to keep up!!! It never ends, does it?

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have anything nice to say, please don't say anything at all!

I've done it!!!

Well, I've finally done it!! Got accepted into Uni AND created a blog!!! After searching for insightful websites to help me tackle my journey into academia at my ripe old age and coming up with nil, I decided to start one of my own. I hope this blog will encourage anyone who has ever doubted their own abilities, to put one foot in front of the other and achieve their ambitions, desires, dreams...no matter what they are. If anyone has any inspiring stories to share, I would love to hear them. I love an inspiring story!!!